Subject: Re: PowerMac 7300/200 boot problems (current)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sampson Stein <scs@b1tt3r.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2007 12:31:29
--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp

+++ Michael Lorenz [freebsd] [20/07/07 13:19 -0400]:

>Hello,
>
>On Jul 20, 2007, at 01:35, Sampson Stein wrote:
>
>>+++ Michael Lorenz [freebsd] [19/07/07 23:36 -0400]:

>>>Yes. I'm fluent in typo :p

>>>Exactly. the p option is important so file permissions and ownership=20
>>>will be restored correctly - without that you'd end up with - for=20
>>>instance - a /usr/bin/su without suid bit set which therefore=20
>>>wouldn't work.
>>>
>>>have fun
>>>Michael
>>>
>>Alright man, thanks a lot. I got it working now, except for a little=20
>>hickup
>>in the postinstall fix command, I ran it again and it tries to do the=20
>>part it
>>failed on, which I will attach a typescript of it to this email,
>
>It complains about being unable to remove /usr/share/sendmail for some=20
>reason ( sendmail was removed a while ago and replaced with postfix ) -=20
>that error is harmless, just delete the directory by hand.
>
>>as well as the output of 'ofctl -p'.
>
>Eh, I see the mach64 but it doesn't have an OpenFirmware ROM it seems=20
>so you won't be able to use it as console.
>
>>I also have attached an intel ethernet card, that works like a charm.
>
>Most PCI device drivers should Just Work, even though many of them have=20
>never been used on macppc. You may want to pick up a cheap USB card=20
>though, the one button Apple mice get annoying quickly in X.
>So, you /may/ be able to use the mach64 in X - put this into your=20
>kernel config:
>options OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB
>this lets X mmap the region usually occupied by the legacy VGA=20
>framebuffer ( 0xa0000-0xbffff ) which is unused on macppc but some=20
>stupid, PC-centric XFree86 drivers insist on playing with it even if it=20
>has no effect.
>options OFB_ALLOW_OTHERS
>This will allow the Xserver to access other devices than the console=20
>display through /dev/ttyE0. Obviously a monstrous security hole, that's=20
>why it's not enabled by default.
>Use the wsfb driver for the onboard fb and atimisc for the mach64.
>
>have fun
>Michael

Thanks a lot man, everything's working like a charm... I'll try that stuff
for X out, btw.. I have the config set to use the new adb and such, works
great as well. Now to figure out what the heck to do with this thing xD
--=20
Sampson C. Stein
b1tt3r -- You know.. like sugar?

"... And remember: if you don't like the news, go out and make some of
your own."
		-- "Scoop" Nisker, KFOG radio reporter
		   Preposterous Words

--17pEHd4RhPHOinZp