Subject: Re: installing netbsd on a PM g3 B'n'W
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@stderr.spb.ru>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/15/2007 12:06:33
Moln?r Gyula <baaanana@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried it in a lot of ways, but it's always stop at:
> Boot device: unknown
> Root device: <here froze: After it's stopped here, i had a launch ,
> and did a lot of things to kill some time, but after 3 hours it's
> still here:(>
> Anybody know that what's wrong? My installations based on
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2004/01/19/0000.html
> and the install notes.
> Or anybody, who installed ona B'n'W before, can tell me step-to-step,
> how he (or she) did it...?

You don't need to use pdisk, since you are not dual-booting, and OFW
only needs to find the boot block on the disk.  For that use the ISO
image trick:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/09/19/0001.html

Here's my image:

    http://www.stderr.spb.ru/~uwe/netbsd/g3boot.tar.bz2

and relevant parts of the disklabel demonstrating the layout:

8 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:  16777216     15780     4.2BSD      0     0     0
 c: 143374744         0     unused      0     0
 h:     15780         0    ISO9660       0

In OFW I have:

    auto-boot?   true
    boot-command mac-boot
    boot-device	 /pci/pci-bridge/scsi/disk:,\ofwboot.xcf

Change the device part (before the colon) in boot-device to match your
setup.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe@stderr.spb.ru                       |       Zu Grunde kommen