Subject: Re: Re: No sound on Mac mini
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/07/2007 00:24:02
--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

On Sun, May 06 2007 - 17:46, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> >>  The audio chip used in the Mini is actually little more than a DMA en=
gine
> >>  and a DAC - no mixer at all. Should work in -current using software=
=20
> >> volume
> >>  control ( I think Jared requested pullup to 4.0 but I'm not sure )
> >>

> > Booting the 4.99.19 makes audioctl and mixerctl output things.
> > Mixer.app and aumix now also work too.
> > And I get output from mpg321.
>=20
>  So it didn't get pulled up - I'll see to that.
>=20

Thanks a lot.

> > That's two things (my video output is also solved in 4.99.x) that makes
> > netbsd-4 unsuitable as a workstation (on my hardware). Am I really unlu=
cky=20
> > or
> > is it known that netbsd-4 is not yet ready for "recent" Mac hardware (as
> > a workstation).
>=20
>  Huh? You're the first I hear of who has this sort of trouble with radeon=
fb.=20
>  It will be fixed when 4.0 is released. Same about audio. You're aware of=
 the=20
>  fact that 4.0 is beta software? And how exactly do you expect us to test=
=20
>  everything on every possible hardware combination?
>=20

erf... I knew I was asking my question the wrong way ; sorry for looking ru=
de.

what I meant was "am I the first who reports those kind of problem ?".
I never really practiced /macppc before so I'm not sure of which netbsd
release is useable. For example, I know (for having tested it) that
before 3.x, /sparc64 was not pretty stable. I also know a bit about
/i386 hardware support (because I have used it for a long time). I
finally know about /landisk too because I own one. But that's my first
time on /macppc.

So if I try to put my initial question another way, I would say:
Should I keep netbsd-4 on my mini and reports more issues (I've been
asked to test PR 34165 on netbsd-4) or should I switched to 4.99.x
because this is a release that have many more fixes than netbsd-4.

Be sure that I'll be glad to wait for pull-up on netbsd-4, test them and
report success/failure.

Best regards,
	Jo

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s