Subject: Re: puc based 16550 on macppc?
To: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/23/2007 23:49:46

Hello,

On Apr 23, 2007, at 22:55, Joachim Thiemann wrote:

> On 23/04/07, Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:
>> Hi Joachim,
>> [...]
>> To make it usable anyway we'd have to enable it by hand, write some
>> safe values into its BARs and figure out which interrupt to use.
>> Finding he interrupt shouldn't be a problem - the bridge's
>> interrupt-map should tell us, the code is already there. The rest is
>> easy enough to do, I can write you such a patch if you want.
>> [...]
>> The problem with this - it's a gross hack that won't go into the
>> official source tree. If you add new cards you may need to pick new
>> addresses for the puc since OF - being unaware of this hack - may
>> assign the ranges you picked to said new card and then things would
>> blow up.
>
> Hi Michael,
> your efforts are greatly appreciated: gross hack or properly
> engineered implementation, I'll take it :-)  I guess I'd just have to
> be careful once I migrate to 4.0...

Shouldn't be hard to adapt to 4.0

> All things considered though, I guess in the future it may be useful
> to have a mechanism for handling similar situations for macppc (and
> possibly other OF PCI based architectures? sparc, for example?)

Nathan mentioned that alphas will have similar problems.

> BTW, I've dealt with Lava Computing's tech support before, they seem
> pretty good.  I think that if this is a case where it's really them
> that are messing up in some corner case of the PCI spec, they'd be
> willing to at least file it as a bug to fix for future cards.  I'd
> happily file a bug report once I figure out what I would need to tell
> them :-)

I'm not a PCI spec lawyer but I'm sure there are such people reading
this list ;)
If I understood it correctly it was a loophole until some recent
version of the PCI spec and the firmware in your mac ( and loads of
other machines ) will probably comply to a not so recent version ( 2.1
or so I guess )

have fun
Michael