Subject: Re: puc based 16550 on macppc?
To: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
From: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/17/2007 18:15:38

Hello,

On Apr 17, 2007, at 17:46, Joachim Thiemann wrote:

> On 17/04/07, Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2007, at 15:00, Joachim Thiemann wrote:
>> > puc0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0: Lava Computers new serial (com, com)
>> > puc0: couldn't map BAR at offset 0x10
>> > puc0: couldn't map BAR at offset 0x14
>>
>> >    Base address register at 0x10
>> >      type: i/o
>> >      base: 0x0000fff8, not sized
>> >    Base address register at 0x14
>> >      type: i/o
>> >      base: 0x0000fff8, not sized
>>
>> Those BARs overlap and contain bogus. Looks like they weren't
>> configured by OF for some reason.
>>
>> > pci_intr_map: no mapping for pin C
>> > puc0: couldn't map interrupt
>>
>> >    Interrupt line: 0x00
>>
>> and this is bogus too.
>
>> The card looks unconfigured - does it show up in OF's device tree at
>> all?
>
> Hi Michael, thanks for your help.
>
> First off, if I go to OF, then do dev /pci, then ls I get
>
> ff85faf0   /pci-bridge@d
> ... bunch of stuff...
> ff87ab28      /pci 1407,200@d
>
> I guess OF at least sees the card, but doesn't do anthing about it.
> Is there anything else I can get out of OF?

Maybe - please run ofctl -p ( this will dump the OF tree including
properties ) and post the relevant part ( or the whole thing if you're
unsure )

> I notice Valeriy is using 4.99.9 - does current do anything different
> during the bus initialisation?

Nothing that should affect your card. All I changed lately was about
proper ( or rather - less broken ) setup of CardBus bridges.

> I'd rather stay with a stable release though, this is my home server...
> (I tried a 4.0_BETA kernel, and got the same message)

The problem is likely with OF, not NetBSD. On macppc NetBSD doesn't do
much in terms of PCI bus configuration - basically it walks the tree OF
tree and fixes some known weirdnesses but nothing more. It will not
attempt to configure any PCI device that OF didn't set up.
Maybe OF put something into device properties and for some reason
failed to program the card's config space - if that's the case I can
likely fix it.

have fun
Michael