Subject: powerwave 604/150 notes
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2007 14:38:15
For the archives, here is how I booted my PowerComputing PowerWave
604/150 today.  I have noted a wart in the installer.

Built distribution, release, iso-image using NetBSD-current of a week
or two ago.

The PowerWave 604/150 booted on the serial console.  I plugged in an
ADB keyboard.  I had to hit Option-Command(aka "Splat"/"Cloverleaf")-O-F
*quickly*, before the chime was finished.  Eventually I set auto-load? to
'false' for my convenience. :-)

Set real-base and load-base per instructions at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#ofw-load-base>.

Booted like so:

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:,\MACPPC\INSTALLATION\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 /macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd_generic_md.gz

A strange thing happened during installation:

    Command: /usr/sbin/installboot /dev/rsd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
     Hit enter to continue
installboot: Can't write sector 0 of `/dev/rsd0a': Read-only file system
installboot: Set bootstrap operation failed

 Okay, the first part of the procedure is finished.  Sysinst has written a
 disklabel to the target disk, and newfs'ed and fsck'ed the new partitions you
 specified for the target disk.

 The next step is to fetch and unpack the distribution filesets.

 During the extraction process, what do you want to see as each file is
 extracted?

                    lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
                    x Select set extraction verbosity     x
                    x                                     x

So installboot purports to fail, but sysinst disagrees with itself
whether it failed.

After installing, to boot into NetBSD I used the CD-ROM's bootloader
like so:

0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:,\MACPPC\INSTALLATION\OFWBOOT.XCF;1

At the 'Boot:' prompt, I typed '/macppc/binary/kernel/netbsd_generic.gz
-a'.  Of course, '-a' let me provide the right root partition (sd0a),
swap, and such.

I was able to install a "partition zero" bootloader like so:

# /usr/sbin/installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot

(I believe sysinst ought to use rsd0c instead of rsd0a, too.)  Then I
could boot from OpenFirmware with this command, 'boot scsi-int/sd@0:,'.

So that I could boot by typing 'boot' at the OF prompt, I did this:

0 > setenv boot-device boot scsi-int/sd@0:0
0 > setenv boot-file netbsd
0 > reset-all

Finally, I set the system to auto-boot:

0 > setenv auto-boot? true
0 > reset-all

Works!

It seems that OpenFirmware tries to boot from the HDD before it has spun
up, or something.  It complained ' can't OPEN: scsi-int/sd@0:0' after
I power-cycled the machine.  If I hit the reset button, it booted up.
I fixed that with this command,

0 > setenv boot-command catch 5000 ms boot

Dave