Subject: Re: Firewire drives on 3.1?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Timm Wetzel <twetzel@gwdg.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/07/2007 14:52:16
Andrew Ball <aball <at> students.prairiestate.edu> writes:

>   AR> Does anyone actually use a firewire attached drive on
>     > 3.1?
>
> I tried a couple of Firewire drives on NetBSD/i386 3.1, but
> without success.

I've just installed -current (4.99.13) on a FireWire drive, and it seems to work
so far (for *very* light use).
If at all possible I'd give -current (or 4.0, when available) a try, because the
flaky FireWire code from 3.x was completely replaced with an implementation from
FreeBSD.

>   AR> I'd like to attach a hard drive via firewire to save
>     > me some trouble of figuring out how to mount it
>     > internally.

> [ยทยทยท] I've yet to find an appropriate bridge/adaptor
> board though.

I am using a box based on a Prolific chipset (3507?). Things may also depend on
the host's hardware: My G3 iBook tends to work better with FireWire devices than
my G4 cube.

Timm