Subject: Re: Firewire drives on 3.1?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/02/2007 20:54:22
Hello Andy,

  AR> Does anyone actually use a firewire attached drive on
    > 3.1?

I tried a couple of Firewire drives on NetBSD/i386 3.1, but
without success.  One was an ordinary ATA drive in an
enclosure that seems to have been built for optical drives.
I am told that NetBSD doesn't like 2048-byte sectors on hard
disk drives. I think the other didn't work because it had an
NTFS filesystem on it.  I no longer have a NetBSD 3.1 box to
test them on.

  AR> I'd like to attach a hard drive via firewire to save
    > me some trouble of figuring out how to mount it
    > internally.

I have a few places where I would like a separate box with a
mirrored pair of disk drives (in part to keep the heat from
the drives away from the processor and RAM).  Firewire would
be a convenient way to connect those boxes to host
computers.  I've yet to find an appropriate bridge/adaptor
board though.

- Andy Ball.