Subject: Re: A few macppc newbie questions
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2007 01:48:28
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got very little macppc hardware experience before now, so maybe
> I'm missing something. If someone could direct me to a hardware guide
> or something, that would be great.

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g3c.shtml
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/

BTW, which hw revision did you get?  Hopefully it's Rev2.  I have a
Rev1 machine and it seems to suffer from, apprently infamous, cmdide
bug that prevents you from using Ultra DMA with larger IDE disks.

If you have rev1 hw and want to hook the disk to the cmdide, make sure
to clamp the driver to not try Ultra DMA.  There is a flag in the
kernel config, see cmdide(4) and wd(4).

Apple says that sticking a HDD into the ZIP slot (under CD) is a no-no
b/c of thermal considerations, though I ran with an ide disk in the
zip slot for a few years (unware of the apple advice :).  The only
hassle is that getting ide/power cables connected to the disk in the
zip slot is a bit tricky b/c of space constraints.

Relevant articles for adding IDE drives (for rev1 and rev2 respectively):

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/IDE/
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/add_2nd_drive/index.html

HTH

SY, Uwe