Subject: Re: A few macppc newbie questions
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/25/2007 20:41:33
On 2/25/07, Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru> wrote:
> BTW, which hw revision did you get?  Hopefully it's Rev2.  I have a
> Rev1 machine and it seems to suffer from, apprently infamous, cmdide
> bug that prevents you from using Ultra DMA with larger IDE disks.

I suspect that I have kind of a mongrel system or maybe the "server"
machines are different. It's definitely Rev2 based on the IDE chip, it
says "402" on it. But I don't have the stacked drive brackets, or the
updated video card with the extra heat sink. But maybe this is typical
of the server machines?

> Apple says that sticking a HDD into the ZIP slot (under CD) is a no-no
> b/c of thermal considerations, though I ran with an ide disk in the
> zip slot for a few years (unware of the apple advice :).  The only
> hassle is that getting ide/power cables connected to the disk in the
> zip slot is a bit tricky b/c of space constraints.

I don't see why it should be a big deal either.

> Relevant articles for adding IDE drives (for rev1 and rev2 respectively):

My real question is, can I boot off of a PCI ATA133 card? I suppose
the open firmware would have to see it in order to set a variable to
be able to do it.

The plan is to move my intel based server to this Mac, running NetBSD
3.1 (or 4.x if I don't get around to it soon enough). I really need to
be able to get all 4 hard drives into it in one way or another. I
suppose I could try firewire, but I know that firewire doesn't work
well on my AMD64 machine so I don't know how it is here. Also, I
haven't been able to get it to boot NetBSD automatically yet, I guess
I need to hack some firmware variable to get it to do it, which I
haven't figured out yet.

I suppose if the plan doesn't work out, at least I have a Mac to play
with. It's almost fast enough to use as a desktop.

Andy