Subject: Report from the field - NetBSD 2.1 upgrade
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC2@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/21/2007 21:27:34
Quick note about my just-completed upgrade of my main server from
NetBSD 1.6.2+mods to a stock 2.1 NetBSD release on an AGP PM G4.

Congratulations to the NetBSD team on the smooth upgrade.  The
sysinst/upgrade support worked beautifully, and minimized my work in
tweaking config files.

I am now using my Cyclades serial card in the G4 to host modem-dial-up
lines - without any of my mods to the serial driver. (!)  PPPD works
(no mods)

Success.

I had one glitch, which was apache.  I was running 2.0.53 on my 1.6.2
system.  As I recall, I had to install (with pkg system) gcc 3.3.3
in order to make it build.  After the upgrade, I could not start
the binary - it got a cryptic error - something like: "bad p_AUX"  I don't
remember exactly (and have already torn down the "spare" machine)

An apache rebuild on 2.1 fixed the problem, and all is well now.

Thanks, all,

-dgl-