Subject: Re: radeonfb, VTs and trackpad
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@xs4all.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/15/2007 21:48:11
--Pd0ReVV5GZGQvF3a

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 07:00:09PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > I've tried to add a few VTs, which works according to dmesg, but
> > I can't switch to them.  Whenever I press Ctrl+Apple+F1..F4, the
> > machine simply resets itself.  How does this work?
>=20
> The function keys that control brightness, volume etc. in MacOS may act=
=20
> as separate ADB device - you can force them to send normal keyboard=20
> events by adding option FORCE_FUNCTION_KEYS
> to your kernel config.

That did the trick.  Could this be made the default in GENERIC?
I think it would make it a little more userfriendly since people wouldn't
get these surprising sudden crashes.

> Please grab the latest src/sys/arch/macppc/dev/ams.c and amsvar.h from=20
> - -current.
> When the driver detects a trackpad it should set up a sysctl node like=20
> machdep.ams0.tapping which defaults to 1 - set it to 0 and tapping the=20
> pad shouldn't cause button events.
> Works on my PowerBook, if it works for you as well I'll have it pulled=20
> into 4.0

Thanks a lot!  This works perfect.

=46rom your other e-mail:

> To switch VTs use Command-F[1-5]. If the function keys don't send
> proper scancodes but appear as abtn device ( to control volume,
> brightness etc. ) use Fn-Command-F[1-5]

That works for me on console.  When I am in X, I can't switch back
to another VT.  Could this be related to the fact that
Ctrl+Command+Backspace doesn't kill the X server?

> This is a bug in the PMU code which tries to control display brightness
> on machines that can't do this via PMU ( like all Powerbooks that
> shipped with something newer than a G3, likely all iBooks ) - the PMU
> itself responds to invalid commands by powering down.

That's just stupid.  Why does Apple do this?  To make it hard for people
to use a non-Apple OS on their hardware?

> I'm in the middle of cleaning up this mess.

Alright, keep up the good work! :)

> Hmm, as far as X is concerned there is no difference between radeonfb
> and ofb - it shuts up the console, then mmap()s registers and
> framebuffer. Could you please mail me the XFree86.0.log for both cases?

Never mind, it appears something else caused it.  I never thought about
comparing ofb/radeonfb, I just noticed it was slower than before.
There's no noticable speed difference between ofb/radeonfb.

Regards,
Peter
--=20
http://sjamaan.ath.cx