Subject: Re: XFree86 no worky on 3.1 on G3 iBook
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Lowry <zach@zachlowry.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/05/2007 22:23:28
On Jan 5, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Michael Lorenz wrote:

> Not really. Is backlight powered down as well? It almost looks like
> the wrong port, or wrong sync. Something probably put the panel
> into suspend.

The backlight is indeed powered up, yes.

> Which driver did OpenBSD use? Wsfb by any chance?
> The problem is very likely not NetBSD-specific anyway, it's XFree's
> radeon driver.

I'm not sure, and I hate to install it again to find out. I've spent
some time with NetBSD now, which is what I prefer anyhow.

> What we have in xsrc/xorg is xorg with various security fixes and a
> few local changes to make it work on macppc, sparc and sparc64.
> You'll probably have to install a few packages ( expat, probably
> fontconfig ), build and install the stuff in xsrc/dist and then use
> the build.sh script in util/modular.

In fact, I had to get a backrev of FreeType 2.1 in order to get it to
build. Apparently there's some trouble with FreeType 2.2 and Xorg.

> This will take ages to build ( thanks to gazillions of autoconf
> scripts ) but it should give you a working xorg 7.0. Be warned
> though, the radeon driver never really worked right on my iBook, it
> did produce output but full of distortions. Not sync problems, more
> like random noise as if something mucked with the memory clock -
> didn't always happen though.
> If you're using radeonfb you can easily get X to work using the
> wsfb driver - it doesn't support any kind of acceleration but it
> should use a hardware mouse cursor. Doing the same with ofb will
> work as well but you'd get only 8bit colour and no hardware cursor.

Yes, this works, as well as the Xmacppc server. I'd prefer a nicer
display, of course. I may try radeonfb again, I did that earlier and
I seem to recall I had no output after boot. I'll test it again as
soon as xorg finishes building.

> have fun
> Michael

Thanks!