Subject: Re: mixerctl(1) not honouring volume change instructions on an iBook SE running
To: None <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: David H. Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/11/2006 01:56:11
>>I've just been testing out audio on my iBook SE running 3.1, partly due
>>to Michael's request on the list last month.  I've found so far that
>>awacs(4) works for me, except that changing the volume level with
>>mixerctl(1) has no effect, so I'm stuck with a moderately quiet level
>>of playback.  (Perhaps those in listening distance of me would say
>>that's a feature, not a bug though...  Ahem.)
>
>- - mixerctl is a bit unintuitive - you did use outputs.speaker, didn't
>you?
>- - are you sure your iBook actually has an awacs?

I used outputs.speaker, yes.

I thought awacs was the closest match, based on general hardware
age.  But I could be wrong (more below).

>That said, please mail me your dmesg output and if at all possible please
>compile src/usr.sbin/ofctl and send me the output of ofctl -p ( this will
>dump the entire OpenFirmware device tree, including properties ) so I can
>see what hardware you have.
>What could cause this might be:
>- - wrong driver. Did you try snapper?
>- - external mixer like on the beige G3 - ofctl -p should tell us if that's
>the case.
>- - some weird bug in awacs ( don't think that's too likely though )

I tried snapper, and nothing happens, it doesn't get listed in the
dmesg.

I dumped the OF device tree, and noticed the audio device is called
"daca" there.  I did a little searching on the web, and found that
OpenBSD apparently has a separate driver called "daca", that was
originally written by the same fellow who wrote awacs and snapper.
So it may be that awacs is the closest fit of what's in the NetBSD tree,
but not the exact driver.

I'm emailing you the dmesg and ofctl output momentarily.

Thanks,

Dave