Subject: Re: Problem with Xorg and maybe wscons too?
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Marco Trillo <marcotrillo@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/27/2006 23:49:56
Hi,

On 10/26/06, Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2006, at 10:18, Marco Trillo wrote:
>
> > That's interesting... I have to do some tests with this -- getting
> > access to thermal data would be nice. But I think the eMac doesn't
> > have a fan controller. In fact, there are people who installed one to
> > reduce the noise caused by the eMac fan... [in my case this is not
> > much of a problem since the UPS near the eMac causes as twice as noise
> > as the eMac itself... :-) ]
>
> No idea, I know the G3 iMacs don't have them and the drivers I
> mentioned were written for certain iBooks. You can check if you have a
> fan controller though - just look at the OpenFirmware device tree,
> there should be two ki2c nodes, one on /uni_n and one on /pci/mac-io.
> If you have a fan controller it should show up somewhere under these
> nodes, probably named 'fan' ( my iBook G4 has /uni_n/ki2c/fan with
> 'adt7467' in its compat property )

I've found a 'fan' node on /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/gpio@50/fan@0 .
It has a 'compatible' property with value 'fan-gpio':

0 > dev fan ok
0 > .properties
name                    fan
device_type             fan
compatible              fan-gpio
                        fan

built-in
reg                     00000000
platform-GetFanSpeed    ff97a768

It also appears on the Mac OS X I/O registry:

$ ioreg -n fan
[...]
    | |   |   +-o fan@0  <class AppleMacIODevice, registered, matched,
active, busy 0, retain count 6>
    | |   |   |   {
    | |   |   |     "built-in" = <>
    | |   |   |     "platform-GetFanSpeed" = <ff97a768>
    | |   |   |     "reg" = <00000000>
    | |   |   |     "name" = <"fan">
    | |   |   |     "compatible" = <"fan-gpio","fan">
    | |   |   |     "device_type" = <"fan">
    | |   |   |     "AAPL,phandle" = <ff97a5f0>
    | |   |   |   }
[...]

It appears like a simple controller. The value "ff97a768" appears to
be constant and independent of any system load or temperature...

Thanks,
Marco