Subject: Re: running X apps via SSH.
To: Robin-David Hammond %KB3IEN <netbsd@kb3ien.us>
From: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/02/2006 13:09:33
------=_Part_71490_18367772.1159808973319

On 10/2/06, Robin-David Hammond %KB3IEN <netbsd@kb3ien.us> wrote:

> I wish to run a few X apps via ssh from a headless computer. Simply trying
> to ssh with -X produces an error to the effect that a variable is not
> defined. This makes perfect sense, something must be running to give it a
> socket name. "0:0" etc.

Make sure the _server_ allows forwarding the X connection: in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config, you should have

X11Forwarding yes

Then if you log in using ssh -X, the "DISPLAY" variable should be set
automatically (usually to ":10")

> What packages, services are minimaly required to run such a gtk app
> remotely. What docs have been written on this?

I assume you do have an X11 server running on the client (damn the X
terminology is confusing: the machine you're sitting on with the keyboard
and screen is the X server, but the ssh client; the headless remote box is
the ssh server but the app you're running is the X client.)

If you do have a proper X server running, building the app you want to use
should have installed all the needed libs.

Joe.

------=_Part_71490_18367772.1159808973319

I wish to run a few X apps via ssh from a headless computer. Simply trying<br>to ssh with -X produces an error to the effect that a variable is not<br>defined. This makes perfect sense, something must be running to give it a

------=_Part_71490_18367772.1159808973319--