Subject: Getting the thing to boot
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/07/2006 15:48:25
I've got 3.0 installed on a G4 which all went well, but I'm trying to
get it to boot from its own HD now. I can boot by using a CD with:
boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf hd:7,/netbsd

I've not got OS X to hand, and so I built up the disc based on what was
there previously by using pdisk as per the installation instructions. I've
got an HFS partition which I've formatted and copied ofwboot.xcf to:

1# pdisk -l /dev/wd0c

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/wd0c'
  #:                type name        length   base     ( size )
  1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
  2:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       54 @ 64
  3:      Apple_Driver43*Macintosh       74 @ 118
  4:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh       54 @ 192
  5:    Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh       74 @ 246
  6:           APPLE_HFS boot          2048 @ 320      (  1.0M)
  7:     APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 root       1048576 @ 2368     (512.0M) S0 RUFS k0 /
  8:     APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 swap       1048576 @ 1050944  (512.0M) S1  SFS k0 (swap)
  9:     APPLE_UNIX_SVR2 user      57917807 @ 2099520  ( 27.6G) S2  UFS k0 /usr

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=60017327 (28.6G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
Drivers-
1:  23 @ 64, type=0x1
2:  36 @ 118, type=0xffff
3:  21 @ 192, type=0x701
4:  34 @ 246, type=0xf8ff

2# hmount /dev/wd0d
Volume name is "boot"
Volume was created on Mon Aug  7 16:32:14 2006
Volume was last modified on Mon Aug  7 16:35:25 2006
Volume has 977920 bytes free
3# hls
ofwboot.xcf

But, I can't boot from it:

0> boot hd:6,\ofwboot.xcf
MAC-PARTS: specifed partition is not valid can't OPEN: hd:6,\ofwboot.xcf

Have I messed up somewhere?

--
Stephen