Subject: Re: Total newbie wants to install BSD on G3 PDQ.
To: Brian Durant <globetrotterdk@diplomatic-immunity.dk>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/26/2006 17:24:14
thus Brian Durant spake:
> On Jun 24, 2006, at 23:40, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>
>> I think you'd also install plain Darwin and use pkgsrc on top of it to
>> install applications.
>
> I downloaded Darwin 602.2 PPC as this seems to match closest to Jaguar,
> where my G3 PDQ hits an OS roadblok, but despite the CD i burned booting
> and the Apple logo showing up, the circle just keeps spinning and never
> actually boots.
>
> BTW, just wanted to mention how nice everyone on the list has been
> treating me so far. I hope we aren't getting too OT for the list? I'm
> just hoping that someone has some more ideas about getting BSD installed
> on my PB.

hi brian,

i'm almost sure that the (most) recent Darwin does no longer support
your PowerBook. e.g., for the Wallstreet machines 10.2.x was the last
'officially' supported OS (and the appropriate Darwin releases, of course).

for Mac OS X you can circumvent this limitation with XPostFacto [0] --
maybe you can use this to boot Darwin?

i run 10.3.9 on a Wallstreet using this software; i have to check the
box that forces Tiger to use 'old' Mach (gfx) drivers, and it runs very
well :)

[0] -- http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

HTH,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@riscworks.net
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

NUKE BAVARIA! they killed their only bear there [0] and their prime
minister meets with Nazis to celebrate their 'heroism' [1].

[0] -- http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/JJ1
[1] -- http://www.wdr.de/tv/monitor/beitrag.phtml?bid=404&sid=91