Subject: Re: is ofwboot.xcf RAID aware?
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@NetBSD.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/14/2006 12:52:48
> Is ofwboot.xcf able to boot a kernel from a RAIDframe partition? I have
> trouble getting it to work, and looking at the sources, it's not obvious
> to see if it can work or not.

I tried to get NetBSD booting from a RAIDframe set, and never could. I
ended up leaving 32 megs on the top of each disk set to hold ofwboot.xcf
and a kernel (plus a backup kernel). If the main boot disk failed, I could
always use the serial console remotely to tell the system to boot from the
second disk.

On another system, I had it boot from a CF card - not sure what the
failure rate is on those cards is if you don't write to it often, but at
least there aren't moving parts to worry about.

John
--
Today is the day that my destiny calls me!
   Meowth