Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD on beige G3 (Was: Re: serial console beige
To: Miguel Mendez <mmendez@energyhq.be>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/04/2006 20:10:51
Miguel Mendez wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 09:24:49 -0400
> Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
>> This means you have a revision 2 Beige G3.
>
> Apparently Apple didn't get OFW right until 3.0, but 2.4 seems to be
> better that 2.0 anway :)

If you don't mind the fact that you can't boot a floppy in OFW.

>> That's only true for New World machines (systems with OpenFirmware 3
>> and later). On old world machines sysinst should do everything needed
>> to get you a bootable system.
>
> That's right of course. Maybe I had been awake for too long when I did
> the first installation attempt. However, the way I did it was to set
> boot-device to enet: and boot-file to netbsd, so the box grabbed
> ofwboot.xcf via bootp/tftp. The internal hard drive is detected as sd0,
> bus 0, target 0, lun 0, so it's safe to assume is a SCSI drive.
> However after the installation I haven't found a way to have the
> machine boot by itself. Setting the boot-device to scsi/sd@0:0 gave me an
> error message saying it couldn't be openned. I've tried other
> combinations without success, and 0 bootr doesn't seem to help either.
> Any ideas?

Is the disk set not to spin at power on? It could also be that you don't
have the system disk/startup disk nvram patches. I haven't messed with
booting SCSI for many years since the bus was slower and more unreliable
than the not-quite-so-slow heathrow IDE controller. But I do remember it
working on OFW 2.0f1. If there was an apple partition map on the disk
you might need to write zeros to the first few k of the disk to wipe
that out so that OFW will use the partition zero raw read.