Subject: Re: Entry point
To: Mad Skull <mskull@gmail.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/19/2006 13:56:35
--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 05:28:44PM +0530, Mad Skull wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
>   This is my first mail to this group. I have been trying to understand t=
he
> execution of the bootup/entry code. But I am not able to figure out the
> starting point, since I couldnt able to find the ldscript for macppc and
> also, does the start up code jump from macppc to powerpc directory?
> I am not sure whether this is the right place to ask this.

In the Makefile that creates the kernel, you will find:

ENTRYPOINT=3D     __start=20

which tells the build system to use "__start" as the kernel entry point.

This label is in macppc/Locore.S.

The startup code calls routines in both the macppc and the powerpc=20
directories. We use routines from the powerpc directory when we are=20
dealing with aspects of the CPU and system that are common across all (or=
=20
many/most) PowerPC systems.

Take care,

Bill