Subject: Re: Does the multiboot ISO work?
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Cherry G. Mathew <cherry.g.mathew@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/15/2006 23:53:40
On 3/10/06, Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I get the same error on a 1st generation iMac, the CD boots just fine on
> an S900 ( OF 1.0.5 ) and an iBook G4. What's even stranger is that the
> same loader just works when run from a HFS+ partition.

I just successfully re-installed 3.0 from the CD on an iBook G3 ( at
the expense of linux and power management ).

Maybe a little off topic but:

- mount -o async, noatime, noadevtime etc.etc. with atactl wd0 idle 5
as suggested in the laptop howto doesn't spin down the disk. The unit
gets very hot. In fact SMART reports very high temperatures ( 58 C) )

- Open Firmware doesn't read MSDOS formatted partitions anymore.
Here's the partition dump

[Cherry-G-Mathews-Computer:~] cherry% sudo pdisk /dev/rdisk0 -dump
/dev/rdisk0  map block size=3D512
   #:                 type name                 length   base     ( size )
   1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
   2:            Apple_HFS Apple_MSDOS          204800 @ 64       (100.0M)
   3:            Apple_HFS nxakato            17303792 @ 204864   (  8.3G)
   4:            Apple_UFS Workspace          14768496 @ 17508656 (  7.0G)
   5:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 NetBSD             23600000 @ 32277152 ( 11.3G)
   6:      Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                2727968 @ 55877152 (  1.3G)

Device block size=3D512, Number of Blocks=3D58605120
DeviceType=3D0x0, DeviceId=3D0x0

- with COMPAT_LINUX turned on, linux binaries still get "unrecognised
binary format" errors with NetBSD. I was trying to run user mode qemu.

Any clues ?

I wrote some basic code to run the driver powerhooks on apm -s as
Michael suggested, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks,

--
~Cherry