Subject: Re: Bad performance of bmac (bm0) interface (Rev.1 b&w G3) with 100baseTX?
To: Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2006 22:05:13
------=_Part_1624_24360157.1141884313627

Yes, I have this exact problem.  I seem to remember someone suggesting it
was related to the back to back packet rate. (with outbound much faster tha=
inbound)

I've not found a solution and I don't use the B&W enough to be too concerne=
about 10 meg only.  Note that I have it plugged into an auto negotiating
switch port, so I only set it to 10baseT, which gets me 10/half with the
switch.  At least that way the switch & Mac are using the same settings and
when I boot into MacOSX it just works at 100/full via auto negotiation.

-Andrew

On 3/3/06, Joachim Thiemann <joachim.thiemann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> so I have my old Rev.1 b&w G3 working relatively nicely, thanks to
> some tips from people here.  I have now set it up to be a dovecot mail
> server, update dyndns, and act as an ftp, netatalk and samba server.
>
> I now noticed some performance issues: from other Macs (PB G4) writing
> to the server is absolutely abysmal in speed - using afp, smb, or ftp.
> We're talking in the order of 20kb/s.
>
> While I originally suspected the problem being with the daemon
> processes, I played with the bm0 media settings and noted that I get
> much better performance when setting the interface down to 10baseT
> (using ifconfig bm0 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex), in the order
> of 200kb/s using ftp.
>
> Has anyone else seen this type of problem?  Is it a buffer overrun
> problem in the bmac driver? Any way I can get full performance using
> 100baseTX?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe.

------=_Part_1624_24360157.1141884313627

Yes, I have this exact problem.&nbsp; I seem to remember someone suggesting=
 it was related to the back to back packet rate. (with outbound much faster=
 than inbound)<br><br>I've not found a solution and I don't use the B&amp;W=
 enough to be too concerned about 10 meg only.&nbsp; Note that I have it pl=
ugged into an auto negotiating switch port, so I only set it to 10baseT, wh=
ich gets me 10/half with the switch.&nbsp; At least that way the switch &am=
p; Mac are using the same settings and when I boot into MacOSX it just work=
s at 100/full via auto negotiation.
=3D"gmail_sendername">Joachim Thiemann</b> &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:joachim.th=
iemann@gmail.com">joachim.thiemann@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquo=
te class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204)=
; margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
Hello,<br><br>so I have my old Rev.1 b&amp;w G3 working relatively nicely, =
thanks to<br>some tips from people here.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have now set it up to=
 be a dovecot mail<br>server, update dyndns, and act as an ftp, netatalk an=
d samba server.
ing<br>to the server is absolutely abysmal in speed - using afp, smb, or ft=
ected the problem being with the daemon
>much better performance when setting the interface down to 10baseT<br>(usi=
ng ifconfig bm0 media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex), in the order<br>of 200=
kb/s using ftp.
r overrun<br>problem in the bmac driver? Any way I can get full performance=

------=_Part_1624_24360157.1141884313627--