Subject: PAM error message during logout
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: David H.Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2006 23:03:52
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this when they log out of a shell on the
console (having started and closed an X session after logging in):

pam_sm_close_session(): no utmp record for ttyE0

I get this when I log into the console, start up X, close X, and log out.  It
appears what's happening is that an entry is recorded for the login in the
utmp file, but once the X session starts, that entry is cleared and replaced with
one referencing ttyp0 (unlike in utmpx, which retains the ttyE0 entry in addition
to ttyp0), so when X exits there's no entry left for the applicable login on the
console.

I'm asking here rather than on other mailing lists because this appears to me to
be macppc-specific, I don't see the same thing with 3.0 on i386.  I would
guess this is due to the differences between the consoles on these ports.  (Oh, I'm
running stock 3.0 on an iBook SE, incidentally.)

Regards,

Dave