Subject: Re: Powerbook G4 Performace
To: None <zorn@cryptox.org>
From: David H.Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/08/2006 22:45:28
>As the subject aleady tells you, it's the performace i am not really
>happy with. I am not sure if it's either the console driver or the
>whole CPU support by the kernel, but somehow the system appears really
>slow. Not only normal text is scrolling slow over the screen but also
>extracting packages.

When you refer to slow scrolling, you're referring to the console, rather than
an X session, I assume?  If so, that's just because OFB_ENABLE_CACHE wasn't
enabled for your kernel.  See this entry in the FAQ for macppc:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html#scroll-speed

Regarding package extraction, are you saying that the I/O performance is worse
or CPU time is longer than you expect?  (Or is this visually related to the
general console scrolling issue above?)

Dave