Subject: Re: iBook Powermanagement status query
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/25/2006 03:24:11
Michael Lorenz <macallan@NetBSD.org> writes:

> I'm not aware of any such list, what's missing is (more or less) some
> glue to talk to the PMU. Shouldn't be too hard to do, I've been reading
> some related Darwin source ( looks like we can get away with saving some
> state and sending a command to the PMU to fall asleep on most models )
> but so far I didn't have the time for any serious hacking, there was
> always something else to do.

The mechanics of telling the PMU to shut down aren't the hard part -
I've fiddled around and written code that does that. However, it's not
useful, because what's really missing is saving the state of a lot of
hardware devices that lose all their state when put to
sleep. Basically, what is needed is for ~every driver on a macppc
laptop to get power hooks, and then for someone to test that our power
hook infrastructure is actually sufficent. This is an uphill task,
because we don't do it on other platforms, either; the APM sleep on
x86 boxes takes care of the relevant state management.

        - Nathan