Subject: NetBSD 2.1 installation on mac68k
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org, hubertf@gmx.de>
From: Patrik Schindler <poc@pocnet.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2006 19:50:25
Hello,

sysinst seems to be soewhat broken in mac68k (at least in 2.1, 1.4.2 which
I tried last had no sysinst).

The behaviour is documented here:
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2005/05/19/0003.html

I think it's a good idea to document this in the port-specific FAQ for
mac68k:  http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

This bug has bitten me really hard and ate lots of hours of my spare time.
It'd be nice to save others from suffering with the same problem.

---

Q: When I try to install netbsd with sysinst, it dies with "no space left
on device".

A: What happens here is that sysinst does neither newfs(8) the configured
partitions, nor mount them afterwards -- although it claims it did. The
/targetroot/{etc/fstab,usr/INSTALL} etc. pp. are created just fine, only
that they end up in the memory disk - which gets full really fast when
unpacking the distribution files.

If you ^Z in the

  Ok, we are now ready to install NetBSD on your hard disk (sd1).  Nothing
  has been written yet.  This is your last chance to quit this process
  before anything gets changed.

  Shall we continue?

dialog, then manually newfs the desired partitions and mount them under
/targetroot and 'fg', the rest of the install will run smoothly.

---

Thanks!

:wq! PoC