Subject: Re: Sharing an Apple keyboard
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2006 17:40:27
--------------enig352B7BF2D332DA0F1E265AAF

Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <6b2d1e190601101202s37fdef7cgcd52b3ff01c50c09@mail.gmail.com=
>,
> 	"Julio M. Merino Vidal" <jmmv84@gmail.com> writes:
>  =20
>> However, I want to avoid having two keyboards on my desktop,
>> so sharing it across the iBook and the PC could be nice (thus
>> replacing the PS/2 keyboards).  I'll need a KVM too (or whatever
>> lets me switch an USB connection).
>>    =20
>
> Don't buy a Belkin KVM switch for USB keyboards. I've bought two recent=
ly
> and I've got lots of trouble with them.
>
>  =20

I use an "ioGear" USB kvm switch, and have for a few years.  It works OK.=

>> So, here go the simple questions:
>> - Will NetBSD/i386 behave correctly with such a keyboard?
>>    =20
>
> Yes, my US layout standard white Apple keyboard works fine with NetBSD-=
i386.
>  =20

I have a "macally" keyboard that works just peachy with my powerbook,
windows, and netbsd.  I also bought a new Apple USB keyboard for an
AMD64 system at work - it seems OK.

>>   the Windows key.
>>    =20
>
> I've not tried out Windows (and I cannot at the moment). My guess is ho=
wever
> that the two Apple keys on the Apple keyboard will be behave like the
> Windows keys.
>
>  =20

I've never actually used the Windows key.  What does it do?  :)

> Older Belkin KVM switches (which work fine) present a PS/2 keyboard eit=
her
> as PS/2 or USB keyboard to the computer. The advantage of that setup is=
 that
> the USB HID devices presented by such a KVM switch doesn't go away when=
 you
> switch to another computer.
>
> =09

I do the switch-back-and-forth thing a lot.  Lots of console messages,
but it works mostly.