Subject: NetBSD 3.0 on Powermac 9500
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Kjell Konis <konis@stats.ox.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/02/2006 10:57:28
Hi,

I just installed NetBSD 3.0 on my Powermac 9500.  I compiled a
current kernel (3.99.15) without Altivec and with multiprocessor
support and the vga buffer hack to get XFree86 to work.

-bash-3.00$ diff MYKERNEL GENERIC
29c29
< #options      ALTIVEC         # Include AltiVec support
---
 > options       ALTIVEC         # Include AltiVec support
555,559d554
<
< options       OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB
< options       MULTIPROCESSOR

I am happy to report that this kernel seems to work fine.  I had
previously filed a problem report about the kernel panicing when
multiprocessor support was enabled - this was 2.0.2 with a current
kernel.  So first question: how do I look up/attach a comment to my
problem report?

When the kernel is compiling, "-Wa,-maltivec" is always among the C
flags.  What does that comma mean?  Is it just for warnings or is it
actually including Altivec support?

Also, I have an ABD AppleDesign keyboard.  It works fine under
Xmacppc but several of the keys (notably backspace, delete, and the
up, right and left arrow keys) don't work under XFree86.  Has anyone
gotten one of these to work XFree86?

Thanks for your help.

Kjell