Subject: Re: Cannot boot netbsd-3.0 on my powerbook 12'
To: <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Reading Dept. <books@customvisualdesigns.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/28/2005 13:43:22
On Dec 28, 2005, at 10:13 AM, William Duke wrote:
> My opinion:
>
> If you want to run NetBSD don't buy new Apple hardware!   New Apple
> hardware
> is not best suited for running NetBSD -- or Linux!
>
> If you're sourcing new hardware for OSS, get i386!
>
> If you have old MacPPC hardware laying around and want to use NetBSD
> -- Go
> for it; you've nothing to lose.
>
> If you're looking for old hardware to try an Open Source OS -- MacPPC
> isn't
> the best choice.
>
> If you want all of the bells and whistles associated with "personal
> use"
> computers, get an i386.
>
> If you want stability and a real unix experience, get a workstation.
> Like
> an SGI or a Sun.

What constitutes old?  I have a powermac 8500 running NetBSD 2.0.  It's
obviously an old machine, and I wanted to experiment with it rather
than toss it out.  I also happen to have a rev. A iMac.  I'm planning
to get some memory for  it in the near future, and then was thinking of
installing NetBSD.  Would a linux distro be a better choice?

Erik