Subject: OF trouble with TurboMax IDE controller
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: colin <sapote@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/26/2005 14:26:25
Hello everybody,

I was successfully able to boot the NetBSD 3 floppies and install the
OS on a hard drive attached to a TurboMaxATA/33 PCI card.  sysinst had
absolutely no trouble seeing the card and writing the files to it.=20
Unfortunately I cannot get Open Firmware to boot to the HD attached to
this card.  I fear that the card is either old or too buggy for OF to
boot anything other than MacOS from.  (I seem to remember that this
card doesn't work with OS X.)  Has anybody been successful in booting
NetBSD from this card?  OF sees the card as ACard,850UF@F.

Here's what I get upon turning on the machine:
can't OPEN: pci1/ACard,850UF@F/sd@0,0
ok

And getting a words listing goes like this:

0 > dev pci1/ACard,850UF@F ok
0 > words

decode-unit      set-blk-w     close     open     selftest
reclose-hardware     close-hardware     reopen-hardware
open-hardware     parse-args     restore-open-dma
save-dma-open     set-drive-cfg     open-dma
close-dma     'set-drive-cfg     'close-dma     'open-dma
set-address     ide-drive-inquiry     ide-inquiry
write-blocks     read-blocks     max-transfer     dma-free
dma-alloc     #blocks     block-size

And a directory listing doesn't fare well, either:

0 > dev pci1/ACard,850UF@F/sd@0,0 ok
0 > dir can't OPEN the DIR device

Any insights?  I noticed that 'show-children' was not in the list of
words for the controller.  The hard drive was formatted within the
NetBSD installer, so there should be no Apple Partition Map or HFS
type partitions anywhere on the disk.

My system is:
PowerMac 8600/200
128M RAM
Floppy Disk
No CDROM or SCSI devices
Using built-in video
PCI ethernet card (supported by and used to install NetBSD)
PCI TurboMaxATA/33 IDE controller
ADB keyboard/trackpad
CMOS battery tests good

Thank you,  Colin