Subject: Re: XFree86 config file for iBook SE (clamshell graphite model)
To: David H.Gutteridge <dhgutteridge@sympatico.ca>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/23/2005 21:30:51
I used to be really pumped about running NetBSD on MacPPC hardware, but the
novelty and appeal has all but vanished.   Don't get me wrong, I really like
NetBSD, and I use NetBSD on a couple of Mac68k machines.  I'm presently
using NetBSD 2.1 on an SGI Indy as well.  The PPC Macintosh computers
however, leave much to be desired.

I'm running Linux on my PPC Macintosh computers because NetBSD on these
machines is too dependent on the really buggy firmware.  NetBSD might run
fine on newer PPC Macintosh computers, but I'm of the mind that newer
machines are best suited to run Mac OS X.

Like I said, I'm not knocking the NetBSD folks...  I'm knocking Apple for
releasing such crappy hardware.   Bear in mind, my MacPPC experience is
pretty much limited to a 7300/200 which had the horrible chaos controller,
the 7200/90 that used the 601 processor and was not supported by NetBSD
(Yes, I've seen that the 601 is now supported in the 3.0 release), and a
PowerMac 9500/150 that was more trouble than it was worth.

My 7300 is back to running Mac OS 9 and is doing duty as an Appletalk file
server.  The 7200/90 is running Linux (Woody) and is doing duty as a
dhcp/bootp/tftp server for doing NetBSD installs on SGI hardware, and my
9500/150 is also now running Debian Linux.