Subject: Gigabit support in gem drivers
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <spamcop@smurfturf.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2005 21:44:54
(Sorry if this get double posted. I believe I have sent it with the
wrong address the first time, waited a couple of hours and still
hasn't showed up, but it just does that some times. So I'm reposting
with the proper address)

Hi to all the NetBSD mac heads :)

	I figured since we're discussing networking it would be a good time
to come forward with this...
I'm using NetBSD (currently version 2.1) on a Digital Audio PowerMac
G4 (the PM). The PM runs as a server and has two nics, the onboard
gigabit and an extra 10/100 nic. The later is used to connect to the
lan and the former is on a direct link with the workstation (which
also has an extra nic for lan). Both machines have gigabit, this is
great because I transfer a lot of files between them. Sadly, NetBSD's
gem driver (used by most onboard PM cards) does not support Gigabit.
I've looked at the change list of v2.0 -> v3.0 and see that it has
not been addressed yet. Neither is it in the v3.0->v4.0 list. I know
for a fact that OpenBSD supports this feature (although I have not
tested it) =>
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=gem&format=ascii

Is there any plans to update the driver?
This is a widely used nic on the PowerMacs, I think it would be very
beneficial for the macppc port to have better gem support.

Regards,
Matthieu Lalonde