Subject: Re: Console cable
To: Donald Lee <MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com>
From: iMac <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/10/2005 15:54:24
on 12/10/05 1:17 PM, Donald Lee at MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com wrote:

> I counsel caution.  MacPPC serial has historically been less than
> completely reliable.  It has been "good enough" for console, but
> that's about it, and as far as I can tell, not reliable for that.
>
> I'm hoping that the improvements in 2.1/3.0 help.
>
> -dgl-

You've pretty much reached the same conclusions that I've reached in trying
to use Apple PPC hardware for anything other than Mac OS.   The hardware is
incredibly buggy and the open firmware is a freakin' nightmare.   An what
about with Mac OS?   Well, if you're using the Classic Mac OS, it's about as
stable as nitroglycerine and prone to frequent crashes, freezes, and
lockups.

What's really sad about this is that I used to be a big Apple supporter
because I truly believed in their products.   I can tell ya that I'm quite
disillusioned and I seriously doubt that I'll be buying anymore Apple
hardware.  I might buy the odd little gizmo to improve what I already have
-- additional memory or bigger hard drives, etc, but I'm pretty much
finished with the Apple offerings.

Just my two cents.