Subject: Re: Wscons. Any substitute?
To: Vieri Verze <vieri.v@gmail.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/06/2005 07:58:27
--Signature_Tue__6_Dec_2005_07_58_27_-0500_xZjkIlPrqjyH/0sU

> Yep, but the driver should be very similar.

Not /that/ similar. There's a reason why X has separate drivers for
mach64, Rage 128 and Radeon. At least the R128 code in XFree seems
readable enough to serve as documentation.

> but I'll mail Yun Young to know more on this framebuffer.

He didn't touch machfb for a while ( and I wrote the acceleration code )
To get this supported we need:
- some changes in macppc's console handling to allow other drivers at
  all. Has been done but it's sort of a hack, currently the kernel is
  hardwired to start up ofb very early, before probing any PCI bus.
- some guy who writes the driver. I can't do it since I don't have any=20
  Rage 128 that would work in any of my Macs ( there's a PCish AGP R128=20
  sitting here but that won't help since we need OF console support and=20
  I don't have an AGP Mac anyway. If for some reason a PCI R128 with Mac
  firmware would suddenly materialise on my doorstep that would be a
  different story and we'd probably have a driver a few days later )
- you could do it yourself. For macppc you can ignore all the mode
  switching stuff since OF will set up some graphics mode, usually in
  8bit ( with newer firmware it also supports 24bit ) and tells us
  exactly where we find the framebuffer and what it looks like, so all
  you'd have to  do is map the registers, probably map the whole
  framebuffer ( OF would map only what it needs to display the console
  ), write some basic functions to identify and set up the chip, copy or
  fill rectangles, probably one to draw characters using the blitter and
  steal the virtual console code from some other driver ( since many
  drivers use very similar code here it should probably be moved out )
  and that's more or less it.

have fun
Michael