Subject: Re: iBook P1 boot device?
To: Andy Ball <ball@cyberspace.org>
From: Vieri Verze <vieri.v@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/04/2005 22:30:30
This is how I did as I didn't have my old macos disks and didn't want
to install Panther.
You can download a Gentoo minimal installation disk from
www.gentoo.org and boot from it.
Then mac-fdisk, delete all partitions and do a small 5mb partition or
more if you want to share an hfs partition. Type hfs and write it on
disk.
Then, configure ethernet, routing and go to www.netbsd.org with links.
There you go on the CVS and download ofwboot.xcf.
Copy it on the hfs partition and it's done!
Re-install NetBSD and it will boot.

Note: there's a way to boot gentoo and eject the cd, so u don't need
to go to internet...but I don't remember it. Do a google search maybe.

I don't understand why bsd kernel doesn't have an hfs module loaded at
install-time, even hformat is unavailable. So it's quite unusefull the
hftools advice in the NetBSD guide! :-( Someone could tell me this?
:-)

p.S.: Sorry for the quoting, I'm using links.

--
Vieri&lulu' (Suzuki GSF600N Blue'00)