Subject: Re: Unofficial macppc 2.1 ISO for old world machines
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/2005 12:52:49
> From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
> Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:45:02 -0500 (EST)
> To: port-macppc@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: Unofficial macppc 2.1 ISO for old world machines
>
>>> If you have another Unix box with X installed, you can run X
>>> software on your headless Mac quite easily.  All you need to do, is
>>> telnet to your headless Mac and set the display to your Unix box
>>> running X.
>> Ugh - noone should be using telnet.
>
> Why not?  Surely you're not under the (mis)impression that everyone's
> network is exposed to random attackers from the net-at-large?
>
> Yes, there is a large class of problems for which telnet is a very very
> wrong answer.  That doesn't mean that there aren't also problems for
> which it is a right answer.

I totally agree with you.  There's a lot to be said for "reality" in such
circumstances.  I really don't care if someone were to compromise one of my
BSD machines.  On the contrary, I'd be grateful for the learning
opportunities afforded me.  Reality, however, says that the odds of my
machines being compromised is extremely remote. (pun intended)