Subject: Re: Unofficial macppc 2.1 ISO for old world machines
To: D=?ISO-8859-1?B?9m32dPZyIEd1bHnh?=s <dog@dog4.dyndns.org>
From: William Duke <wduke@cogeco.ca>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2005 16:02:58
If you have another Unix box with X installed, you can run X software on
your headless Mac quite easily.  All you need to do, is telnet to your
headless Mac and set the display to your Unix box running X.

Example:
In csh, type:

setenv DISPLAY ipaddress:0.0

In sh or bash, type:

DISPLAY=3Dipaddress:0.0
export DISPLAY

You can also use an app like MI/X on a Mac OS machine.  Same thing applies.

Of course, ipaddress should be replaced with the ip address of the machine
that you want your headless box to display on.  From there, just type
something like:  xterm

And an xterm window will appear on your remote machine.

This will make configuring your headless Mac much easier and much more fun.
Plus, you can run your machine from a much less powerful terminal, and stil=
take full advantage of your headless machine.