Subject: Re: Unofficial macppc 2.1 ISO for old world machines
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=F6m=F6t=F6r_Guly=E1s?= <dog@dog4.dyndns.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2005 21:43:22
Yay, I got the installer running, at last, and was able to install
netbsd and boot from HD.

So far so good. Though I can neither use the graphics card nor the
keyboard (graphics card ignored by OF, keyboard hangs netbsd), it
seems like netbsd is running alright. And this is how it went:
- unplugged mobo battery and mains, let it sit it out
- tried booting from unofficial iso, no go
- tried booting from official iso, no go, of course, but it might
have done something to OF
- tried booting from unofficial iso again, just for kicks, and
voi'la, it magically works.

I can live with the fact that the computer runs headless once its
configured, though having to use vi for the first steps makes things
a lot harder. Also, having to use zTerm under Classic over a USB
serial adapter is making things a lot harder. Flaky as hell.

Alright, back to work...thanks for the help so far, you'll hear from
me :)

Cheers,
  - DoG

On 20.11.2005, at 21:03, Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Alright, I got a little further this time, then went back :/
>>
>> Using the commands suggested, namely
>> boot scsi-int/sd@3:,\OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC
>> got the whole thing running. Not at the first try, but I tried
>> mocking around, and hell if I know what I did, but after several
>> repetions and mucking with the real-base and load-base settings, it
>> worked.
>
> That happens to everyone. Welcome to weird Apple OF.
>
>> I got into the installer several times, but it gave me timeouts on
>> the
>> MESH controller, and locked up while trying to format the HD. So I
>> went and changed the SCSI chain, plugged things into the external
>> SCSI
>> port, and I was stuck again. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the
>> exact output when things worked, and also failed to put down the OF
>> variables.
>
> Hmm, what kind of harddisk do you use? Some IBM by any chance?
> If so - does it have a jumber labeled 'target initiated sync
> negotiation' or something like that? If it does - disable this feature
> since it confuses the mesh controller. Do you have a ZIP drive? It may
> mess up things too, if you have one disconnect it and see if things
> change.
>
>> In the meantime I managed to mess up the real-base var and had to
>> take out the mobo battery several times. Now, it seems like more ore
>> less independent of the real-base value, I get to one of the
>> following messages:
>>
>>> 0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:,\OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC loading XCOFF
>>> tsize=C860 dsize=28C bsize=25C0 entry=E00000