Subject: UPS
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <netbsd@kb3ien.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/13/2005 16:55:12
I am running two netbsd 9600's (love them PCI ports) in an APC UPS (has 9
pin output), thanks to powerhungry i386s the UPS doesnt last that long
when power goes out. We are in the heart of manhattan, in a well managed
building so there is a good chance that /if/ the power goes out, it will
be restored promptly.

Questions:

 	1	what software works well on netbsd using an RS232 port.
 	works well = can execute scripts when mains power is off, AND
battery drops below a given % of remaing charge.
 	(shutting down the i386s will help concerve charge)

 	2	what is the best way to how the box auto-poweron after
restore power.

Im considering a PIC and some Dallas Semiconductor charge controlers, but
if someone has done this before, please let me know how.

  Microsoft: Where do you want to go tomorrow?
  Linux: Where do you want to go today?
  BSD: Are you guys coming, or what?

Robin-David Hammond	KB3IEN
 	www.aresnyc.org.