Subject: Re: NetBSD usability
To: Francis Koclas <netbsd@geekrants.org>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/04/2005 23:29:13
Hello,

> While we're on this topic, would anyone be willing to share his X
> configuration for an iBook?

I would, but mine is an 800MHz G4 with a Radeon so my X confiog won't
help you.

> I started setting up NetBSD on a 12" iBook 600 (rage 128 8M) and I
> have various problems with X. My keyboard is totally off (backspace
> gives me tilde, amongst tons of other weird stuff).

That's fixed in -current and 3.0. The ADB keymap in XFree was full of
errors. I hope I found and fixed them all but since I don't have all
possible ADB keyboards I can't be sure.

> Also :
>
> - How does one simulates a right click?

There's a way to map function keys to act as middle and right mouse
buttons but I'm lazy and just use a USB trackball.

> - How can we bind the command key so that it can behave like a windows
> key?

The Command key should map to Meta.

> - How do you kill/restart X ? I know the control option delete and
> control-option-F1 thing but that does not do anything on my ibook.

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Or quit the windowmanager.

> I'm using xorg 6.8.2 if this is important. Should I be using the
> NetBSD X11 tree?

Well, it contains a bunch of macppc-specific bugfixes, your messed up
keymap is such an example.

have fun
Michael