Subject: Re: netboot: macppc 9500/200 netbsd 2.1 RC5
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/09/2005 12:06:58
Hi,
--- Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The interrupt handling fixes we did a while ago were pulled up into 2.1
> if I remember correctly, without them the kernel would lose lots of
> interrupts which degrades performance pretty much anywhere ( and made
> the serial ports more or less unusable for instance ). This alone could
> explain why mc does better in 2.1.
>
> I wouldn't recommend anything older than 2.1 on an old world Mac to
> anyone.

After your post I thought that many more improvements including mc0 may be done in netbsd-3 so
I've deleted my netbsd 2.1rc5 off nfs server and put netbsd-3 MD kernel on which I was able to get
shell from and configure my mc0 and I can tell you that mc0 performs far more better on netbsd-3
than on anything else I've ever tried! For the first time I dared to put ping -f and had 100%
reply!!! That's amazing (well it might not sound amazing with what you have but after the hell I
went through it's just like heaven to me) so I've setup my server to serve netbsd-3 macppc and
tried netbooting my mac again and it went straight through no complaints about anything well done
guys really you deserve to be regognised! I'm getting my hopes back to get my xfree working after
my last attempt ( http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2005/05/23/0009.html ) on netbsd 3 but
i'll keep it till bit later I'm happy with what I have at the moment

thanks everyone!

http://mail.yahoo.com