Subject: Re: Porting NetBSD onto NuBus Power Macintoshes
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/18/2005 17:39:35
--yNb1oOkm5a9FJOVX

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 06:47:50PM -0400, Michael wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> > I know, that it is also neccessary, to port NetBSD onto PPC 601
> > and I am willing to do that, but it would take a while to get
> > results. Of course, there is MkLinux, but I prefer to boot the
> > system completely without the bogus Mac OS, instead of MkLinux
> > does. That's why the first step is to simulate the hardware.
>=20
> PPC601 support /should/ already exist in some way - if I remember
> correctly NetBSD/prep works on some 601-based RS/6000 boxes.

Yes. My understanding is that the main issue is the lack of OF.

I think the best thing to do is use one of the Linux loaders and take the=
=20
OF tree it passes in and have NetBSD use that for info. So you will=20
basically make all the OF routines read out of your data tree rather than=
=20
calling into OF. And all the "methods" would not be there since there's no=
=20
OF to call into.

Take care,

Bill