Subject: Re: 9600 won't boot without Firewire/USB combo PCI card? o_O
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Walther <trag@io.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/16/2005 04:53:02
At 04:05 -0400 08/16/2005, Francis Koclas wrote:
>I have one weird of an issue, and I have no idea what to make of it!
>
>I have a PowerMac 9600 here which won't load the kernel properly if I
>don't put my OrangeMicro Firewire/USB combo PCI card in a slot (any
>pci slot does the trick).
>
>When it's in, the 9600 successfully boots up. When it's not, it stops
>
>start=0x10000
>
>That line is right before the copyright notice.
>
>It happens with both the GENERIC kernel, and my own custom kernel
>(which does not have FW/USB) for that matter.
>
>Any clues? I've tried putting other PCI cards (NICs, USB cards,
>soundcards), and only this particular one seems to do the trick.
>
>I don't get it. I just don't!
>

>Any gurus here have a clue? :)

That is a bizarre issue, but in the interests of gathering
information, do you have any other PCI cards with a PCI-PCI Bridge
chip on board?  It would be interesting to see if the machine is
simply insisting on having a PPB bearing card installed.

You might try pushing the CUDA Reset switch (while power is off).
There may be stored device tree settings which are not getting
updated properly and that should reset them.

Jeff Walther