Subject: Re: beige g3 upgrades
To: John <jhu@grex.cyberspace.org>
From: Francis Koclas <francis85@gmail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/14/2005 17:55:52
Have a look here :

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=3D59&type=3DProcessor&TI=
=3D%23TimeFormat%28Now%28%29%2C+&shoupgrds=3DShow+Upgrades

Basically you could get a 1GHz G4, or a 1.1GHz G3 for it.

I have a PowerForce 750GX 1GHz from powerlogix for 2nd generation
PowerMacs (7300-9600), which has 1MB of lvl2 cache running at the same
speed than the processor, and therefore have this option in my kenrel
:

Not quite sure you could run these at full speed though. They have
some software for MacOS 9/X to set the processor & cache speed. In
NetBSD you need to add a line in the kernel configuration to enable
your cache according to what you have. Mine goes lile :

options L2CR_CONFIG=3D"(L2SIZ_1M|L2CLK_10|L2RAM_PIPELINE_BURST)"

However, the processor defaults to 500MHz, and there is currently no
way to get it running at 1GHz. John Klos of this mailing list stated
about a month ago that he was working on it (he has the same cpu
upgrade card than me). Hope he is making progress with it =3D)

Francis