Subject: Re: Porting NetBSD onto NuBus Power Macintoshes
To: Thomas Roesner <troesner@mouse.Informatik.TU-Cottbus.DE>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/14/2005 18:05:45
Hello,

> architecture. I own a Power Macintosh 6100 to test on a real
> machine.
me too :)

> I know, that it is also neccessary, to port NetBSD onto PPC 601
> and I am willing to do that, but it would take a while to get
> results. Of course, there is MkLinux, but I prefer to boot the
> system completely without the bogus Mac OS, instead of MkLinux
> does. That's why the first step is to simulate the hardware.
well, the MkLinux boot with macos is not "bogus". It is a simple way to
initialize alld evices, loat the kernel and get you off booting.
Afterwards there is no "trace" of macos.
Linux and netbsd on 68k do the same (remember that 68k macs and early
nubus macs are cousins).
There are efforts to boot Linux/68k directly without a macos boot
(EMILE). Maybe those efforts can be useful for mklinux too for example.

> Please, send me more information about existing efforts to port
> NetBSD onto NuBus Power Macintoshes, e. g. contact persons.
AFAIK, netbsd already runs on ppc601, but not on powermacs with 601 (but
RS6k workstations). I have a 8200 mac, that is a ppc601 computer but
with PCI, thus a "bridge" computer that would be useful for testing
netbsd on 601. Unfortunately I didn't hear any news from the 601 guy...
and I had problems even at getting the netbsd kernel to boot on my 8200.

The support of the 6100 under mklinux is very good, btw. So don't
disregard it >)

cheers,
  Riccardo