Subject: Re: disklabel warning
To: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/10/2005 11:12:04
--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 11:05:05AM +0200, dixie wrote:
> Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 07:06:14PM +0200, dixie wrote:
> >
> >>Of course it does :), you cannot create partitions with disklabel(5) on=
=20
> >>a macppc machine, due to some disklabel's limitations I guess.
> >

> >You actually can. However it's better if you don't.
> >
> >pdisk is the better way to go. The problem with disklabel(5) is that the=
=20
> >label we use overwrites part of the device driver section in an Apple=20
> >partition map, so you can mess up your ability to boot a disk on an old=
=20
> >system.
>=20
> Forgive me :) last time I read something about disklabel on macppc was=20
> months ago.
> Additionally, without any particular reason I assumed he asked that with=
=20
> a dual-boot pourpose.
> Thank you for the explanation, but now I've another question.
> You mentioned the device driver section of a partition map, and so does=
=20
> the Partitioning Howto:

Note: I was refering to the driver description section of block 0, which
is different from (though related to) the driver partitions. It is a table
of descriptors that help MacOS figure out which (driver) partition it
should look at.

>    1: Apple_partition_map Apple           63 @ 1
>    2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            56 @ 64
>    3: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh            56 @ 120
>    4: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh          56 @ 176
>    5: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh          56 @ 232
>    6: Apple_FWDriver Macintosh            512 @ 288
>    7: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh        512 @ 800
>=20
> Now, I cannot remember if my original APM had such kind of "partitions"=
=20
> but my actual one does not have any of them for sure.
> Are they useful only on old systems? (mine has OF v3)

They are the "MacOS 9 drivers" and are only needed if you boot pre-MacOS=20
X.

> What are they supposed to be/do?

They date from a time when Apple didn't have generic device drivers, and=20
you had to add drivers for each disk. The Driver43 driver was for the SCSI=
=20
4.3 driver in original MacOS, which changed how a lot of stuff worked. It=
=20
was higher performance and I believe supported tagged queuing. The "_ATA"=
=20
driver is for on an IDE interface, and the "FW" one is I believe for a=20
fire wire device.

Take care,

Bill

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf