Subject: Re: disklabel warning
To: dixie <dixieml@imap.cc>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/09/2005 19:48:38
--rz+pwK2yUstbofK6

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 07:06:14PM +0200, dixie wrote:
> Ward Coessens wrote:
>=20
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm trying to install netbsd 2.0.2 on a powerpc 8600(250, of 1.0.5). I=
=20
> >have no experience with this release, or with other BSD- variants, so=20
> >maybe this is an stupid question. When the installer runs "disklabel"=20
> >it reports a warning( disklabel: invalid signature in mbr 0). at the=20
> >end of the installation, pdisk reports only 1 partition, size 1024m=20
> >(and a apple partition map)=20
>=20
> Of course it does :), you cannot create partitions with disklabel(5) on=
=20
> a macppc machine, due to some disklabel's limitations I guess.

You actually can. However it's better if you don't.

pdisk is the better way to go. The problem with disklabel(5) is that the=20
label we use overwrites part of the device driver section in an Apple=20
partition map, so you can mess up your ability to boot a disk on an old=20
system.

Take care,

Bill

--rz+pwK2yUstbofK6