Subject: Latest iBook model support
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <"[>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/06/2005 00:10:33
Hi there guys and girls,

I'm as of wednesday the proud owner of the now one-and-a-half week old
new model iBook G4 12". You know, the model that isn't included on
this page yet: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=3D88039

Some specs for the clueless:
  Machine Name: iBook G4
  Machine Model: PowerBook 6,7
  CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
  CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
  L2 Cache: 512 KB
  Memory: 512 MB
  Bus Speed: 133 MHz
  Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0
  HD Size: 40 GB
  Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD-ROM
  Airport, Bluetooth, sudden motion sensor, scrolling touch pad, and
some more goodies.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with netBSD at all. I've used freeBSD a bit,
and know a thing or two about kernels but my main focus is cognitive
Ai programming and research, with custom OS design and embedded
systems as a side-hobby. Not an expert in the field of BSD kernel
hacking, to say in the least.

However, I am seriously considering to get 'involved' and I think a
dual boot would be really fun. Thing is, I'm clueless in where to
start, especially since this system is so incredibly new and unknown
to the public. Next to that, support will be sporadic and the
possibility of damaging the hardware && / || firmware makes me lightly
paranoid.

I will start looking into how to set up a system like this, but I'd
like to hear if somebody else can give me some prior info, has the
same system, or whatever.

I'll keep it short for now, I'll keep you updated if I make any progress.

Cheerio, wacco