Subject: Re: Boot problem with NetBSD 2.0
To: Anton Afanasiev <akafoxx@tut.by>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2005 02:41:22
On Sun, 24 Jul 2005, Anton Afanasiev wrote:

> Hello.
> I'm using Apple Powermac Beige G3 (PowerPC 750 -based system according to Open
> Firmware information) and I have a problem during NetBSD 2.0 boot. I've used
> a floppy-type installation. The problem appears when the kernel has been
> already loaded and started the hardware detection. It stops with strokes:
> 	wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> 	md0: internal 2048KB image area
> 	scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>
> and after that the system hangs up.

> boot-command	begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again

That should only be needed if you're trying to boot from a spun down SCSI
disk. The nvram patches for OF 2.x are different than 1.0.5.

> I've also tried to install the appropriate patches (such as
> SystemDisk-patch), but it didn't cause any effect too. Also I've tried
> to use UserConf, where
> I've manually disabled all scsi*-marked devices, but the situation hadn't
> change.

The scsi driver for this machine is called mesh. Disabling it may help,
but I kind of doubt it.

> Could anyone tell me what have I done wrong or forgot?

2.0 didn't get a lot of stability fixes in time that were greatly needed.
I'm not sure about the status of pullups to the 2.0 and 3.0 branches, but
your best bet at the moment would be to try a -current kernel and see if
the problem persists.

I've uploaded two current images from relatively recent sources to:

http://user.dtcc.edu/~ctribo/boot1.fs
http://user.dtcc.edu/~ctribo/boot2.fs